What do illness, disease, premature aging, & weight-gain have in common? Inflammation (ick!)Published Date:
Fact: Inflammation is your immune system's reaction to toxins, irritation, injury, or infection, in an effort to heal itself.
Good news is, you can help control inflammation by what you eat, so let’s work together to make small changes today for a healthier tomorrow.
Here’s a quick list of tips and tricks to help keep inflammation at bay.
- Start each day with a detoxifying green juice (veggie forward please!)
- The Clover / Celery / Detox Greens
- Flush out toxins with loads of H2O (at least 2 liters a day… we suggest 3!)
- Eat foods high in healthy fats (avocado, etc etc)
- Prioritize sleep! 7-8 hours to be exact!
- Exercise, to increase circulation
- Read the ingredients of your food… and cut out the added sugar!
Meet our Health and Wellness influencer of the month, Sophie Jaffe!
Hi there! I’m Sophie Jaffe & I’m a Los-Angeles based health & wellness expert, co-host of the IGNTD podcast, superfood entrepreneur, yoga teacher, AND mama to three beautiful children. I founded my company & wellness brand, Philosophie, with the goal of making it easier, more inspiring, & more delicious to obtain optimal health & radiant wellness. My hope is to inspire others to live a life full of unbounded energy, bliss, & balance while savoring every moment with my children, friends & loving husband!
What are 3 things that you feel people commonly get wrong about inflammation?
When you hear inflammation you automatically think something is not working right in your body. It’s one of the most popular buzzwords in wellness but also one of the most misunderstood.
- Inflammation is always bad. Yes, inflammation can point to deeper health issues going on in the body but on its own is not a bad thing. It’s your body’s way of healing & mending itself as part of the body’s natural defense system. It’s the language of our body letting us know that something needs a bit more love & attention & we better start listening. Where to start? Giving your body high quality, organic ingredients in all your foods & products.
- Inflammation is easy to spot. While it is the language of our body, sometimes we don’t always know when we’re experiencing signs of inflammation. Inflammation can look at redness or swelling or it can look like fatigue or joint pain. By listening to your body every day & paying attention to subtle shifts in your day-to-day you’ll be able to send when something is off & flood your body with more vitamins, fruits, veggies or superfoods to help balance you back out.
- Inflammation is inevitable. While some factors like inherited genes & age can’t be changed you can make stronger & more aligned lifestyle habits that support your expansion and health & in turn, protect your body from inflammation.
What do you & your family do (or consume) for anti-inflammation?
We routinely consume lots of yummy anti-inflammatory foods which are actually just a lot of fruits and veggies. Some of my favorites are papaya which removes redness in the skin by reducing inflammation, pomegranates, pears, mushrooms, & green peas - to name a few.
We add in a ton of superfood rich blends to all our meals throughout the day which contains high vibrational ingredients like cacao nibs in our Cacao Magic Blend. They are particularly high in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants that may protect against high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease & cancer & organic vanilla which has been shown to help protect the body from free radical & toxin damage, inflammation, anemia, fungal infection, hypertension, & elevated blood pressure which is why it is included in our healing Cacao Magic Blend & our detoxifying Green Dream Blend.
Outside of the way to nourish your body, you can also nurture your body to combat inflammation by getting lots of sleep, care for your emotional needs, practice self-care & breathe.
What foods do you absolutely avoid that you know trigger inflammation?
Always, always, always listen to your body! But there are foods you can watch that often trigger inflammation like anything highly processed, overly greasy, or super sweet. This doesn’t mean you can’t have a bag of chips, a juicy burger, or a bag of candy; it just means you have to go about it mindfully. Choose intentional brands & products that substitute their ingredients for the more health-conscious options.
We love that you speak often on intuitive eating. Can you share some insight on what that means to you, & how we can eat more intuitively for anti-inflammation?
I preach intuition with everything I do: intuitive eating, intuitive movement, intuitive living. Intuitive eating is not about deprivation or cheating, nor is it controlling or fear-based. Intuitive eating is listening inward from a place of inner truth & enjoying food from a place of self-love and gratitude. It doesn’t judge yourself or the food itself. It doesn’t call out a specific food as “bad” or “shameful.” It’s eating from a place of JOY & respect. Intuitive eating is a spectrum. It’s not linear because healing isn’t linear. In listening to the inner knowing, you’ll recognize when you need to mellow out on the sweets, processed foods, gluten, oil or salt which can immediately impact inflammation in your body. The key to intuitive eating is developing a strong & healthy relationship with food, mind, & body before fine-tuning your nutrition. Stress & anxiety increase inflammation in the body so when you worry about what you eat, that’s not healthy either. Return to the place of discovering food as LOVE & as COMFORT.Need a quick fix fast? Check out our Anti-Inflammation Juice Kit!